Usage of sync=false in rendering
Gokul Vellingiri
2015-01-07 16:56:31 UTC
I'm trying to stream video from v4l2src to my android mobile using gstreamer
pipeline.Pipeline is working fine and be able to stream video,but latency
and frame drop is seen.By adding *syn=false to fpsdisplaysink *element,be
able to see very less frame drop but playback getting delayed.

I don't know the exact use of sync=false.So can someone suggest some
difference or exactly on what perspective do these factors(sync=false and
true) affect the rendering?

Sérgio Agostinho

Nicolas Dufresne
2015-01-07 18:12:10 UTC
This parameter controls whether or not buffers are synchronized before
being displayed. What it means is that if they are early, it will wait a
bit. If it is late, it will drop and report to upstream element, hoping
that next frame can make it on time.
Post by Sérgio Agostinho
My (empirical) experience has been to set sync to false when dealing with live streams and let it default to true when not.
I don't think setting the sync parameter to false to be the cause of your delay.
This approach is a bit naïve though should work fairly well as long as
the display is faster then real time. If upstream element produce
jitters, or small burst, this will be visible though.
Post by Sérgio Agostinho
Cheers
Sérgio
Post by Gokul Vellingiri
I'm trying to stream video from v4l2src to my android mobile using gstreamer
pipeline.Pipeline is working fine and be able to stream video,but latency
and frame drop is seen.By adding *syn=false to fpsdisplaysink *element,be
able to see very less frame drop but playback getting delayed.
I don't know the exact use of sync=false.So can someone suggest some
difference or exactly on what perspective do these factors(sync=false and
true) affect the rendering?
Though in this case, it seems like the display path is too slow. Which
mean setting sync=false will have the effect of accumulating the
lateness instead of dropping.

In general, slow display is a problem, even though GStreamer is doing
it's best to compensate, the best solution is to find and fix the
bottleneck.

Nicolas